JetBrains delivers intelligent software solutions that make developers more productive by simplifying their challenging tasks, automating the routine, and helping them adopt the best development practices.
- Create clear and technically precise documentation for IntelliJ IDEA.
- Maintain the existing documentation and constantly improve it.
- Work closely with the product development team to get a clear understanding of how the product works.
- Communicate with technical support and marketing to understand user needs.
- Analyze the needs of both new and experienced users and help them learn the product efficiently.
- Write technical content for marketing materials (web pages, blog posts, video, etc.)
- Write and proofread UI texts.
- 2+ years of experience in technical writing.
- Excellent written English.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Experience in working with a large documentation base.
- Knowledge of markup languages.
- Experience with authoring tools, issue tracking and version control systems.
- General understanding of single-source authoring.
- Empathy with users.
- Good writing style and strong editing, formatting and communication skills.
- Knowledge of Java or other programming languages is a plus.
At JetBrains, Technical Writers are part of the product teams. Our documentation process is very open: technical writers communicate directly with the developers and QAs to get all the required technical information. There are no intermediaries or long technical specifications involved.
They also work closely together with the product marketing managers and support engineers to analyze user feedback and define and prioritize the tasks.
To author the documentation for IntelliJ IDEA, we use IntelliJ IDEA itself. So all technical writers have a hands-on experience with the product. We have a plug-in to IntelliJ IDEA developed internally to author documentation. The documentation is written in XML using a schema adapted to suit our needs. All source code is under Git version control.