Senior Backend Engineer (Scala), remote
Местоположение и тип занятости
Senior Backend Engineer (Scala) - Infrastructure team (Contract)
This position is a part of the Whisk team within the Samsung NEXT Product organization.
Whisk is a food-tech platform that helps consumers turn food inspiration into action (buy, cook) through a shopping list and saved recipe box. Whisk has both a B2C side that’s available on multiple web, mobile and hardware surfaces and a B2B side which makes the Whisk platform available to some of the world’s largest recipe publishers, grocery retailers and CPG brands.
Over several years we have been building knowledge and technology in that area, with the great help of Machine Learning.
Whisk was acquired by Samsung NEXT in March 2019 and is investing heavily in developing and scaling the platform, in a way that each investment is not only adding value to its own experience but also to the network of partners overall.
We are globally distributed and our team lives across the world in different locations – we all work together remotely. Living in a place that makes us happy is important to us.
As a Backend Scala Engineer, you will work on improving internal tools/services and developing a set of tools and practices that are utilized by product teams. This includes:
- tech radar
- internal libraries
- software design guidelines
- performance tuning
- server and cloud infrastructure (from the dev side)
- code infrastructure
- data pipelines architecture
- knowledge management
Our team is fully distributed, and it is essential for us that you can organize yourself and are not afraid to communicate with other team members. We are prepared to share our knowledge, and we are ready to learn something new from you. We are an open-minded team and not afraid to try new technologies if it can move us forward.
The infrastructure team is a team of 4 highly skilled engineers.
Stack we are working with:
ZIO, Cats, Circe, fs2, Finagle, Mongo, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Elasticsearch, gRPC, Thrift, Google PubSub, Kubernetes, GCE
- Development and maintenance of internal libraries
- Development and maintenance of internal guides
- Improvement of developer efficiency
- Improvement of tech radar in terms of tools and practices
- Keeping code base up to date with tech radar
- Taking part in system architecture design
- Performance testing and improvements
- Investigation of misbehaving services
- Minimum 4 years of Scala development.
- Minimum 6 years of professional software development.
- Experience with FP libraries e.g., cats, cats-effect, ZIO
- Good knowledge of SQL.
- Experience with NoSQL databases (MongoDb, ElasticSearch).
- Experience with distributed systems.
- Experience in the development of REST API web-services.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience with queues processing (Kafka, Google Pub/Sub, RabbitMQ)
- Excellent communication, verbal, and written skills in English.
Type of Work
- Contract-based (Long-term project), full-time (40 hours per week),
- 100% remote, we are open for applications from any country.