We're looking for a middle-level web developer with experience in Ruby and Ruby on Rails. We would love to work with a pro-active person, who not only solves tasks but suggests improvements on the codebase level as well as on product and company level, and who shares knowledge within the team on meetups and in chats. We are open to a person with ambitions to fill in the Team Lead role.
About the job
- You will work with a team of developers (3-5 people) on the current project developing new features.
- Usually, our projects last for about 1.5-2 years (but it could be more/less). Our developers don't work on more than 1 project at a time.
- Salary 𝚫: 20k—40k USD.
- For development we usually use Kanban or similar process in Trello, Pivotal of Jira, communicate in Slack channels and via Zoom calls, and store documentation in Notion. We also use Holacracy for organizational governance.
- Apart from working on projects we will encourage you to gain and share knowledge, discuss your personal development and contribute to company's activities.
- You'll have colleagues all around the globe, variety of channels in Slack like #animal-therapy, #cooking, #ihateremotework and remote team spirit.
We expect that you
- Good knowledge of Ruby: OOP, meta-programming, common patterns.
- Advanced knowledge of Ruby on Rails: advanced ActiveRecord, CLI and generators, i18n, complex forms and controllers, security features.
- Knowledge of architecture patterns: different ways to organize business logic, state machines, API versioning, background jobs, caching, authorization.
- Experience with data modeling and working with databases.
- Advanced knowledge in writing tests: experience writing different kind of tests, knowledge of good practices.
- Good knowledge of the stack we use: web, http protocol, networks.
- Advanced level of working with tools: Linux, CLI tools, git.
- Your English skills allow you to feel comfortable communicating in it (verbally and written) the whole working day.
- You know how important it is to communicate with the team and inform others about what you are doing, so you stick to open and frequent communication.
- We build mobile and web apps for our clients. See case studies. Usually, we work with clients for years and work as a single team.
- 50% compensation for self-development activities: courses, conferences, books, educational platforms, English, sports.
- Remote work and flexible schedule (actually no schedule at all - you decide when you work).
- 32 paid days off per year - you can use them for vacations, occasional days off, and public holidays, only workdays count.
- Full coverage of sick leaves.
- 200 USD per year for medical expenses.
- 500 USD per year for home office equipment.
How to apply 💌
In order to apply send us a message to email@example.com with your CV. In the message tell us about you and your experience, share some examples of your code. Also, we are curious about your thoughts on the questions below, please, add your answers to the cover letter.
- How do you organize business logic in your app?
- What would you do if you suspect that a gem doesn't work as you expected? How would you debug this?
- How do you deploy your apps? What experience do you have with infrastructure?
Please, share some examples of your code (e.g. share your GitHub profile) as well.
Check out our interview process for more information.